Monday, March 9, 2009

Introduction

My name is Leigha Behrens and I teach at Beatrice High School, NE. I am currently working with sophomores through seniors and teaching them Algebra and Geometry. I graduated from Kansas State University in May of 2007, which means that this is my second year teaching. I married my husband Kyle in July of 2007, and we live on a farm outside of Marysville, Kansas. We are expecting our first child at the end of August, which will make things much more lively.


Even though I have always grown up with technology I do not feel very experienced because it is always changing and this is my first technology class since I was in high school. I have not been able to incorporate much technology into my classes due to the lack of equipment that I have available. The most technology that I use with my students is in the computer lab where I have them research mathematicians and play games to get extra practice on skills. I have always used Windows XP because that was what was available to me, and have had very little experience with a MAC.


I decided to work towards my master's so that I could learn some new information that would make me a better teacher, and to move me up on the pay scale. I was hoping to get it finished before I had my first child, but will not be able to pull it off. I have learned several new techniques from these classes and have gained a lot of insight through my classmates experiences. After these classes are over I don't plan on taking anymore classes for awhile so that I can focus on my family. I would like to go back to school someday to become a school counselor, because I really enjoy talking to students about what is going on in their lives.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain in not feeling as technology savvy as I would like to be. I teach at Nebraska City High School and we have a wonderful lab and LCD projectors, but I haven't had much opportunity in getting to use my newly acquired skills. Hopefully someday we'll finally get to use them! Congrats on expecting your first child, I'm sure it gets more exciting everyday! Have a great rest of the school year!

    ReplyDelete